The forecast for Sat April 16th is just ridiculous (5C, rain, and a strong north wind? no, thanks) so we’ve made the executive decision to hold the time trial on Monday instead.
Monday Night Ride – April 18th – new location!
Birds Hill Park – North Dr. meet at Chickadee lot #2 (roadside parking area)
6:00 PM to sign-in (if you are doing the time trial) and warm up
6:30 PM MNR Group Ride start
6:31 PM Time Trial starts (30 sec or 1 min intervals)
If you are time trialling, please register here: https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=62265
Interested in bike racing in Manitoba but not sure where to begin?
Want to join our club but not sure if you can or how to do it?
OMG, I have a race license…now what?
The ladies of Velodonnas are hosting an information session for you that will cover the following:
- Licenses and memberships
- Race categories
- Skills needed
- What to expect at races and how to prepare
- Q & A
ALL ARE WELCOME.
Wednesday April 6, 2016
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Sport For Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave., Winnipeg
Cost: $5 for non-Velodonnas Cycling Team members. Free for members.
Hello bike loving ladies:
2016 is going to be GREAT! Velodonnas has renewed it’s club affiliation with the Manitoba Cycling Association and you can now sign up to become a bonafide Velodonnas club member!
Club membership is super affordable at $35/year and the benefits are numerous. For example, all of our Skill Clinics are free for club members, members get a break on our indoor training session fees and only members can purchase our fabulous new team kit at COST.
The catch is that you will also need to purchase a membership with the MCA – General Membership, Citizen License or full UCI Race License – your choice.
REGISTER NOW: https://ccnbikes.com/#!/events/velodonnas-cycling-team
PRE-ORDER YOUR TEAM KIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cPn5cunQRJPIYHXBCLjuMFYKmeUWeTbk4vTJSeSHq1o/edit#gid=0
We’re working on our 2016 schedule. Expect to see the usual plus a little more!
- Skill clinics – Road, MTB & Cyclocross
- Monday Night road rides. This year we’ll add some optional sessions on sprinting, high speed cornering, some Strava timed ITTs plus an 80km option around summer solstice
- Monthly time trials & Team Time Trial training
- Dirt Skirt 100 (Century Ride)
- Ingolf ride (MTB)
- Cross labs in Sep/Oct
- Fall/Winter Indoor training sessions
- Beers on the patio
Send us an email email@example.com to be added to our contact list. And sign up for our Newsletter too (see sidebar).
See you soon!
The Manitoba Cycling Association is once again offering a women’s indoor training program to provide an opportunity for women in cycling to come together to share their passion for cycling and work hard.
The program is run in collaboration by the Velodonnas and the Provincial Cycling Program. Lindsay Argue is the program coordinator and Anna Schappert is the lead coach.
10 Week Program on Wednesdays
January 13, 2016 to March 16, 2016
Sessions are 2 hours long 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Jan 13
- Jan 20
- Jan 27
- Feb 3
- Feb 10
- Feb 17
- Feb 24
- Mar 2
- Mar 9
- Mar 16
Location – Beautiful Savior Lutheran School (52 Birchdale Ave), School Gym
$120 for Women that have previously participated in the Women’s Cycling Program (members or non members)
$140 for MCA Members
$160 for non MCA Members
Drop ins will be accepted at $10/night, a maximum of 3 drop ins
Registration will take place on the first night of training on Wednesday January 13, at 6:00pm. We will have an introduction, a basic bike fit, and some post work out snacks.
If you have any questions about the program please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Lindsay at email@example.com or 204-782-4386.
See you on Wednesday January 13, 2016 for registration and our first awesome workout!
Women’s Program 2015
The Velodonnas Cycling Club in collaboration with the Provincial Program, under Lindsay Argue and Anna Schappert’s leadership would like to invite you to join The Women’s Training Program. A program for adult women who love to ride their bikes and continue training through the winter.
Throughout the summer the Velodonnas Cycling Club held The Dirt Skirt Race Series, and clinics hosted by Moni, Kim, Karin, Anna, and Lindsay. This series brought out women of all different abilities who want to ride their bikes, race, and be at a cycling event without the pressure of male competition. The women’s training night is a structured training night just for women to continue their interest in cycling.
Location: Beautiful Savior Lutheran School (52 Birchdale Ave), School Gym
Registration: Official registration will take place at the first session, Wednesday, October 28 at 6:00pm
Pre Registration: please complete and e-mail the Registration Form – Fall 2015 and Waiver to Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates: 8 weeks – 6:00-8:00pm
1. Wed October 28
2. Wed November 4
3. Mon November 9
4. Wed November 18
5. Wed November 25
6. Wed December 2
7. Wed December 9
8. Wed December 16
What to Bring:
(if you don’t have a trainer and would like to try one before purchasing please e-mail Lindsay at email@example.com)
Cost: Fall Program
– $120 for MCA members
– $140 for non MCA members
– $10 drop in fee, maximum 3 drop ins
– Lindsay Argue: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Anna Schappert: email@example.com
Saturday November 7, 2015
Sport For Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave. Winnipeg
Women who ride, please join us for an interactive discussion on women’s cycling and racing in Manitoba and elsewhere. We want an open discussion with all of you on the ‘future’. Kim will present some findings and then we will have break-out sessions for further discussion. We will present our information at the MCA AGM at the end of November.
Open to all girls and women who love to ride their bike.
Saturday August 29th – Prepping for the Dirt Skirt final race on Sunday!
Canadian Mennonite University – 500 Shaftesbury Blvd
Time: 11 AM (1-2 hrs)
$10 for non MCA members, $0 for members
What to Bring:
- Cross or Mountain Bike
- Water bottle and water
- Granola bar or something like that (snacks)
- Your enthusiasm for learning new skills / improving skills you already have / challenging yourself
Skills We’ll Cover:
- The Basics – pedal stroke, braking, cornering, getting out of the saddle
- Mounts and Dismounts
- Carrying the bike
- Starts – bike & body contact, touching wheels
- Hurdles and run ups
In the end this date was wholly ill-suited for a group ride at Ingolf. We’ll try to reschedule. Maybe September long? Who’s available? Email Karin firstname.lastname@example.org
Hey gals, starting next week August 24th & 31st we need to meet/be ready to roll at 6:30 PM from the usual location (Extra Foods 740 St. Anne’s Rd). Daylight hours are waning!
Please bring your lights (front and rear) especially if you ride to/from our meeting place.
Come September, there won’t be time for an evening road ride so the Monday Night Rides are going to switch to cyclocross circuit training sessions (mountain bike friendly). More details on that to come (as soon as I figure them out).
Also, I might move the weekly date to Wednesday nights but I will stick with Mondays if more people want that. Please email me with your preference email@example.com. Monday nights or Wednesday nights in September? Let me know. ~Karin
What: INGOLF MOUNTAIN BIKE GROUP RIDE
POSTPONED to later date. TBA
Saturday August 22nd, 2015. Meet at trailhead 10:00 AM.
Where: Google map to trailhead. Note – switch to Earth view to see the parking area, referred to below, more clearly. Probably best to drive in with someone if you are unfamiliar with the parking area. The trailhead is a short drive off the road and the entrance is not obvious – it is east of the microwave tower and just before the road starts to descend into Ingolf. If you find yourself in the town of Ingolf you’ve driven too far.
Leader contact: Karin McSherry firstname.lastname@example.org call/text 204-791-3195. Please get in touch to let her know you plan to attend and to ask any questions you might have about the ride. Carpooling may be arranged.
- Do not park in the cabin owners parking lot down by train tracks. Park on the rock beside the microwave tower fence line (see pinpoint in Google map link above).
- Ingolf trails are technically challenging (riders from BC, Quebec and pretty much anywhere outside of MB/SK are laughing right now). You don’t need to have all the skills but you do need to love the challenge and be willing to suffer a little. If we were to categorize this ride it would be Intermediate to Advanced.
- The loop is only ~15km long but the ride will take (depending on the group) between 2 to 3 hours. Bring enough fuel and water/sport drink to last.
- Bring a post ride drink and snack in a cooler. Bring your spare tube(s) etc.
- Unless you are a skilled mechanic with all the right tools or you desire a long walk (alone) with your bike you need one in good working order – tight and lubed.
- Consider bug spray & sun screen, towel, dry change of clothes.
- Well socialized, trail/bike-smart dogs are welcome assuming you know they are capable of the demands. Water (in lake/pond/puddle form) is available in many sections of the loop but is not constantly available so consider your dog’s need for water before deciding to bring him/her along.
Super excited to show you Ingolf for the first time and to ride with those of you who already know how great it is! ~Karin